When Steve’s alarm rang on Monday morning, he woke up with dread. It was the same day of the week when his energy and enthusiasm were the lowest. He wanted to sleep more, relax and do anything that didn’t require him to go to work. The same old pattern of scurrying by the traffic to reach office, attending monotonous meetings, making presentations and preparing a list of weekly responsibilities was overwhelming. He would get tense thinking about it from Sunday itself.
Sounds familiar? Many people dread Mondays and the start of a week is generally sluggish for most of them. But there are ways to conquer the anxiety associated with the first day of the week and make it as bright as a Friday. Some of those ways are discussed here:
- Make Fridays productive – Many people dislike Mondays because they stress about completing pending jobs from the past week. People start unwinding from Friday itself. One must stop this urge of loosening up from Friday and focus on completing most of the responsibilities before the weekend, so that there are no deadlines or pending assignments to be taken care of on Monday. The start of the week should be fresh.
- Make sure to have fun during weekend – Mondays appear challenging to those who don’t take a break already during the weekends. It is important to eat well, take abundant rest, unwind by meeting friends, watch a movie or hit the dance floor at a club to revive the spirits and feel invigorated. Weekends should be used to recalibrate the mind and body.
- Plan ahead – Mondays can be stress-free if one plans well, preferably the past week. Making a list of responsibilities and then dividing them throughout next week, delegating some and marking few to be discussed with coworkers can help one to navigate by Monday blues breezily.
- Take good night’s sleep and wake up early – One must get up early on a Monday morning, devote some time to a workout and some relaxation technique like yoga or meditation, eat a hearty breakfast, get dressed properly and then leave for work with a relaxed mind. This can be done only when one sleeps on time on Sunday night.
- Listen to upbeat music on Monday morning – Research has established that listening to music can be mood elevating. One can start the week on a musical observe by charging the spirits with soothing sounds.
- Have proper breakfast – A good breakfast can set the tone for a day and already a week. However, many people don’t realize the importance of this, just rush out of the door and skip the most important meal of the day. This is the reason one may feel lousy and inconsistent throughout the day. A person should eat a healthy and scrumptious breakfast like scrambled eggs, avocado toast, oatmeal with fruits, smoothie, etc.
- Get dressed smartly – If one looks good, he/she tends to feel good. One should plan on a Sunday night about the dress he/she would like to use on Monday. One must look his or her best to feel confident and vigorous.
- Interact with coworkers – When one reaches office on Monday, he or she should include in short and positive conversations with colleagues before starting work. Spreading positivity can brighten up one’s mood and keep the spirit alive. Keeping pictures of the loved ones at the workstation can also be helpful in fighting stress.
Recovering from blues
Sometimes, a person’s anxiety may persist throughout the week, month or already longer. This signals towards an inner problem, which must be addressed if the self-help tips do not come to one’s rescue.