The Omron Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor HEM-790IT
The Omron HEM-790IT is in for review today, and we will begin by saying that this is one of the best blood pressure monitors that we have had the pleasure of reviewing. This monitor offers a large number of progressive features, dual user capability, PC connectivity software and is priced well under $100. So, if you have been looking for a premium BP monitor at an affordable price, please continue reading our review of the Omron HEM-790IT to find out why this unit is definitely a best buy and one to consider.
Advantages of the Omron HEM-790IT Blood Pressure Monitor
- Clinically proven accuracy – Omron publish their results of tests carried out on their home blood pressure monitors according to the protocols of the Association for the Advancement of Medical Instruments (AAMI), European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and British Hypertension Society (BHS).
- IntelliSense Technology – Omron has always been known for making some of the most accurate BP monitors obtainable, and the HEM-790IT’s use of IntelliSense takes accuracy to a new level in home monitoring equipment. Tests of the HEM-790IT show it to be the most accurate BP monitor we have tested to date when compared to specialized blood pressure monitoring equipment or a manual BP check (observe – when used properly).
- TruRead mode takes 3 consecutive measurements with AHA recommended 1 minute intervals and automatically displays the average. This is really helpful to acquire accuracy and consistency.
- Morning Hypertension Detection – An elevated blood pressure level in the morning, also referred to as Morning Hypertension, is known to be one of the leading indicators that a person may be at risk for a heart attack or stroke. It is established knowledge that cardiovascular events and stroke most frequently occur in the morning and both appear to be associated with morning hypertension. Organ damage and diabetic complications also seem to correlate with morning blood pressure surges. Early detection of elevated morning BP levels can help your doctor chart an appropriate course of treatment and very possibly save your life.
- Irregular Heartbeat Detection (IHD) – Another potentially lifesaving characterize of the Omron HEM-790IT BP monitor is its ability to detect irregular heartbeat patterns and pulse rhythms. Like Morning Hypertension, IHD is an indicator of potentially larger health problems – such as arrhythmia. Early detection will help you and your physician best plan how to correct the problems and help you enjoy a healthier life.
- Omron Health Management Software – When used with the Omron HEM-790IT blood pressure monitor, this software enables two users to store readings, track progress and view reports that are a valuable tool in the overall evaluation and management of blood pressure concerns and issues. The software installs easily on to your computer and offers a wide range of reports that you can review with your doctor to monitor progress and estimate medicine dosages. You can already export results to Microsoft Excel or email them to others to view.
- ComFit Cuff is pre-formed for a quick and proper fit for both medium and large sized arms (fits arms 9″ to 17″).
- 5-Year Warranty – The confidence of an Omron 5-year warranty. Excellent.
- Mains AC adapter included – Save on batteries.
- Other Benefits – The Omron HEM-790IT is dual user capable and provides for functional one touch operation by choosing either the ‘A’ or ‘B’ user button. The unit also comes with plenty of memory storage and stores reading results for each user’s last 100 BP checks (200 total).
Things Not So Good About the Omron HEM-790IT
Not much! One minor issue was that while the HEM-790IT is extremely accurate, you must use the monitor correctly in order to unprotected to those highly accurate results and follow the instructions carefully as to how to sit, position of your arm etc., etc. Any variation or movement while testing with the HEM-790IT will potentially consequence in wild variations in measurements, introducing inconsistency and consequently, inaccurate results. To be fair, all blood pressure monitors require that you sit appropriately but perhaps because the HEM-790IT is so accurate, it was more sensitive to inappropriate movement. We cover how to take one’s blood pressure properly in other articles.
We do not think that software is obtainable for use with Mac computers.
Nevertheless, while there were these associate of minor issues, the Omron HEM-790IT is by far one of the best BP monitors we have ever come across. Its blend of accuracy, features, dual user capability and low price also make it one of the best for value-for-money in a home blood pressure monitor.
Conclusion: highly recommended.