‘River Dave’ Arrested After Returning To Live At Canterbury, NH Cabin …

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — A former hermit in New Hampshire whose cabin in the woods burned down after nearly three decades on the character that he was ordered to leave has been charged with trespassing there once again, turning a discarded that survived the fire into a makeshift home outfitted with a wood stove.

There had been an outpouring of sustain for David Lidstone, 81 — better known as “River Dave” —since he was arrested in July and accused of squatting on character owned by a Vermont man. His cabin burned down in August while he was jailed.

READ MORE: Team Effort Helps Speed Up COVID Testing In Randolph As need Increases

Lidstone was a local celebrity to boaters and kayakers on the Merrimack River before his character argument caught the attention of the masses, bringing in over $200,000 in donations to help him start a new, law-abiding life.

Lidstone, who was grateful for the sustain, had secured permanent housing as he figured out where to live next and believed that he could not go back to being a hermit.

A cabin belonging to David “River Dave” Lidstone before it burned down. (Image Credit: Bob Albini)

But he returned to the site in Canterbury in late November, turning the wood discarded into a home. He was arrested on a trespassing charge Dec. 14 and faces a court hearing in March.

“Sometimes, you have to stand up for what is right,” Lidstone told The Associated Press in a phone interview from the site on Tuesday. “I’m 81, I’ve got nothing to lose.”

Lidstone is a logger by trade who chopped his firewood and grew his food in the woods along the river. The character, undeveloped and mostly used for timber harvests, has been owned by the same family since 1963. Lidstone had claimed that years ago, the current owner’s father gave his information — but nothing in writing — allowing him to live there.

READ MORE: 2 Workers Hurt After Trench Collapse In Revere

In the summer, he was jailed on a civil contempt sanction and was told he’d be released if he agreed to leave the cabin following a character argument that goes back to 2016. The landowner, 86-year-old Leonard Giles, of South Burlington, Vermont, wanted Lidstone off the character.

“We’ll let the court address it,” Lisa Snow Wade, an attorney for Giles, said Tuesday of Lidstone’s arrest.

Back in the summer, both sides agreed to position for Lidstone to collect his cats and chickens and remaining possessions at the site. Lidstone also was given permission to hire a surveyor to give him “peace of mind,” estimate Andrew Schulman said. As of Tuesday, Lidstone said he was unable to get someone to come out to survey the land in addition.

A fire destroyed the cabin on Aug. 4, hours after Lidstone defended himself during a court hearing. He was released from jail the next day after the estimate ruled that he would have less motive to return to “this particular place in the woods,” now that the cabin had burned down.

Canterbury Fire Chief Michael Gamache said the fire was caused by accident. He said a representative of Giles who was starting to demolish the cabin on Aug. 4 disabled solar panels, which nevertheless had electrical charge in them. He also used a strength saw to cut into metal supports that held the panels onto the roof.

Either action could have produced sparks to start making things smoke.

“What can I say, Dave is where he is happiest the most,” Jodie Gedeon, a kayaker who has known Lidstone for years, posted on Facebook. “He loves to be in character and what you’d call a free bird. … We are nevertheless planning to build or buy a home in the spring.”

MORE NEWS: COVID Detecting Dogs Begin Working In 3 Massachusetts School Districts

(© Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Click: See details

Leave a Reply